Let’s knit a Leaf Shape to add some crafty color to your Thanksgiving and autumn décor! My easy knitting pattern lets you knit cute leaves on two straight knitting needles. You can easily make smaller or larger leaves by choosing how many increase rows to knit. It’s Thanksgiving week and these colorful Autumn Leaves are a really fun, quick knit that can spruce up your holiday décor! You can get really creative with them, using them as drink coasters, or as a trivet for food dishes or candles.
MATERIALS to Knit a Leaf Shape
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
In my examples, I’m using size 7 US knitting needles and aran weighted yarns.
- Aran Weighted Yarn in any colors
- Knitting Needles Size 7 US – Straight Bamboo Needles
- Tapestry Needle – Clover Chibi Jumbo Bent Tip Darning Needle Set
- Scissors – Gold Stork Crane Scissors
KNITTING TECHNIQUES to Knit a Leaf Shape
KNITTING PATTERN to Knit a Leaf Shape
Cast On 3 Stitches
Increase each EVEN row by knitting until you reach the middle stitch, Yarn Over, Knit that middle stitch, Yarn Over again, then continue knitting the row.
1 Purl 3 Sts
2 Knit 1, YO, K1, YO, K1 (5 Sts)
3 Purl Row
4 Knit 2, YO, K1, YO, K2 (7 Sts)
5 Purl Row
6 Knit 3, YO, K1, YO, K3 (9 Sts)
7 Purl Row
8 Knit 4, YO, K1, YO, K4 (11 Sts)
9 Purl Row
10 Knit 5, YO, K1, YO, K5 (13 Sts)
11 Purl Row
12 Knit 6, YO, K1, YO, K6 (15 Sts)
13 Purl Row
14 Knit 7, YO, K1, YO, K7 (17 Sts)
Continue Purl Row & Knit Row Increase Pattern for larger leaves.
1 Purl Row
2 SSK, Knit to Last 2 Sts, K2Tog
REPEAT ROWS 1 & 2 UNTIL 3 Sts REMAIN
LAST 3 STS
• PURL ROW
• Slip Slip Knit, K1, Pass Knit Stitch over to Bind Off
• Weave in your ends, cut your yarn
• Steam to lay flat – optional. Because we used the Stockinette Stitch, our edges are curling under. Simply place your leaf between a damp towel, lightly steam it with my iron, and air it out to dry. They will lie flat and you can really see the pretty shape and the holes from our yarn overs.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up these cute leaf shapes. Check out all of my Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday Knitting Project and Gift ideas! If you’d like even more great ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another free and easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work.
Happy Knitting to You!