This Star Knitting Pattern is a fun and easy project to celebrate the patriotic 4th of July holiday for beginning knitters. This pattern is a quick knit of 43 short rows to complete the Star.
Learn the key stitches and techniques to help you better understand the pattern while watching my video tutorial below. You will also find written instructions to help you knit it up!
KNITTING MATERIALS for Star Knitting Pattern
The materials to use are the basics of two knitting needles, yarn in the correct gauge for your needles in any color, scissors, a tapestry needle, and one additional knitting needle so to hold your stitches while you knit the first of the bottom legs of the star.
My samples shown were knitted in worsted weight yarn with size 7 US needles.
- YARN: Red, White, & Blue
- Straight Knitting Needles – 3 Knitting Needles
- Tapestry Needle
KNITTING TECHNIQUES for Star Knitting Pattern
WATCH STAR KNITTING PATTERN
Click to Play Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
- Yarn - 42 yards of Worsted Weight in any fiber and colors of your choice
- 3 Knitting Needles - Size 7 US straight needles
- 1 Tapestry Needle
- 1 Scissors
MAKE TOP & SIDE STAR LEGS
Begin by making one Slip Knot onto your needle
- Row 1: Knit All
- Row 2: KFB (2 Sts)
- Row 3: KFB, KFB (4 Sts)
- Rows 4 - 6: Knit All
- Row 7: K1, KFB, K2 (5 Sts)
- Row 8: K1, KFB, K3 (6 Sts)
- Rows 9-11: Knit All
- Row 12: Cast on 7 Sts (13 Sts)
- Row 13: K13
- Row 14: Cast on 7 Sts (20 Sts)
- Row 15: K18, K2tog (19 Sts)
- Row 16: S1, K1, PSSO, K15, K2tog (17 Sts)
- Row 17: Knit All
- Row 18: S1, K1, PSSO K13, K2tog (15 Sts)
- Row 19: S1, K1, PSSO K11, K2tog (13 Sts)
- Row 20: Knit All
- Row 21: S1, K1, PSSO K9, K2tog (11 Sts)
- Row 22: S1, K1, PSSO K7, K2tog (9 Sts)
- Row 23: K1, KFB, K5, KFB, K1 (11 Sts)
- Rows 24-26: Knit All
- Row 27: KFB, K5 (7 Sts)
Keep remaining stitches on your needle.
Using a 3rd needle, turn work to make first lower star leg.
MAKE LOWER STAR LEGS
Row 28: K2Tog, K3, KFB, K1 (7 Sts)
Row 29: K5, K2Tog (6 Sts)
Row 30: Knit All
Row 31: K2tog, K2, K2tog (4 Sts)
Row 32: K2Tog, K2(3 Sts)
Row 33: K1, K2tog (2 Sts)
Row 34: K2tog (1 St)
Cut Yarn, Weave In Ends
Join Yarn onto remaining stitches onto your needle
Row 36: KFB, K2, KFB, K (7 Sts)
Row 37: KFB, K3, K2Tog, K (7 Sts)
Row 38: K2Tog, K5 (6 Sts)
Row 39: Knit All
Row 40: K2tog, K2, K2tog (4 Sts)
Row 41: K2, K2tog (3 Sts)
Row 42: K2tog, K1 (2 Sts)
Row 43: K2tog (1 St)
Cut Yarn and Weave In Ends
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up Star Shapes for your next knitting project. If you’d like even more, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.
Happy Knitting to You!