Easily learn how to Knit Stitch with my 4 basic steps clearly demonstrated in my photos and video tutorial taught slowly and close-up.
Looking for a complete one-stop course and become a confident knitter? Check out my popular Absolute Beginner Knitting Series today.
New: Check out my How to Do a Knit Stitch Web Story >
HOW TO CAST ON KNITTING STITCHES
Before starting your 4-steps to knit stitch, begin by casting your stitches onto one knitting needle using the long-tail cast-on method. Learn how to cast on knitting stitches in my full tutorial.
4-STEPS TO DO A BASIC KNIT STITCH
This Knit Stitch Technique is taught in the American Method of Knitting, also called the English Method. The other style of knitting is called the Continental Method. Since I am an American, and this is the technique I use while teaching all of my knitting tutorials, this series uses the American Method of knitting.
STEP 1: Prepare knitting needles and yarn to knit
- Hold the knitting needle with the cast-on stitches in your left hand.
- Hold the knitting needle without any stitches in your right hand.
- With the yarn in the back of your work, insert the right needle into the front of the first stitch. You’ll insert your needle to the left of that stitch and through. Your right knitting needle will be underneath your left needle.
STEP 2: Wrap yarn in around needle
- Wrap your yarn around the right needle from back to front, so that it rests between the two needles.
STEP 3: Slide right needle with yarn on it
- Slide the right needle down and bring the point forward through the stitch, bringing the yarn with it.
STEP 4: Slip old stitch off left needle
- Slip the old stitch off the left needle. Make sure you only slip that first stitch off of the needle, don’t let any of the others off the needle yet.
- Now the new stitch is on your right needle.
CONTINUE KNITTING THE ENTIRE ROW
- Repeat these four steps for each stitch on your left needle.
- At the end of the row, all the new stitches are on your right needle now and your left knitting needle is empty.
- You will now switch your knitting needles so that the empty needle is again in your right hand. Begin once more by knitting with the first stitch and beyond.
HOW TO DO A KNIT STITCH VIDEO TUTORIAL
Click to Play Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
PROJECT IDEA: THE GARTER STITCH
When you knit every row in your swatch, you are creating the most basic pattern, the Garter Stitch. It is easy to knit, reversible, lies flat, and is stretchy. This 2-Row Repeat is an easy level project.
KNIT STITCH: 50 KNIT + PURL PATTERN BOOK
My Knit Stitch Book gives you 50 unique hand-knit designs created entirely from just knit and purl techniques. Easily understand exactly how to create each texture stitch-by-stitch with chart diagrams and written pattern instructions to knit both flat and in the round.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to begin knitting the knit stitch! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.