Learn the Long-Tail Cast On Knitting Stitches in 3 easy steps with my close-up photo and video tutorial. This is the way most beginners prefer to place yarn onto your knitting needle in preparation for knitting.
You’ll love my easy-to-follow demonstration to cast on stitches to begin knitting. We begin by tying a Slip Knot, then learn the Slingshot Method of holding your yarn, and finish by casting on your first stitches.
Love Knitting Help? Visit my entire Cast On Knitting Techniques section for more great tips!
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Yes, it takes a bit of patience to learn this knitting technique, so be gentle with yourself and have some patience. You will soon be ready to start the fun hobby of knitting.
NEW: Watch Web Story to Cast On Knitting Stitches with the Long Tail Method >
3 STEPS TO LONG TAIL CAST ON KNITTING STITCHES
STEP 1: Create a Slip Knot with Yarn
Begin by learning to tie a Slip Knot, then place your needle inside that loop.
A Slip Knot allows you to easily tighten by pulling on the working yarn and loosen it by pulling up from the loop. This helps the yarn fit securely onto your knitting needle.
STEP 2: Slingshot Method of Holding Yarn and Knitting Needle
- Holding your knitting needle in your right hand.
- Take your left hand and the yarn on the right side hold it between your two fingers.
- Then take your other two fingers and hold the other yarn tail down next to your palm.
- Scoop your thumb underneath that yarn and hold it upward.
- And lastly, with your right hand, take your index finger and just hold it onto the stitch and that is going to help keep it in place while we’re casting on.
Once you have your yarn in your hands in this configuration, you are ready to continue on. Again, my complete video tutorial below is really helpful, if these instructions are making your head spin, haha!
NEW: Watch Web Story to Slingshot Hold to Cast On Knitting Stitches >
Finding the Slingshot hold too tricky? Try the easier Thumb Method for your Long-Tail Cast On.
WATCH HOW TO LONG TAIL CAST ON KNITTING STITCHES
How to Long Tail Cast On for Right-Handed Knitters
How to Long Tail Cast On for Left-Handed Knitters
STEP 3: Cast On Your First Knitting Stitch
- Bring your knitting needle to the outside of the left side
- Pick up that yarn
- Goes right through
- Then travels over to the right side to the outside of the right yarn
- Picks up the yarn underneath
- That bit of yarn goes through your thumb loop
- With your left hand, let all of that go
- Lightly cinch up your two strands of yarn
Hooray, you have cast on your knitting stitch!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to learn to long tail cast on knitting stitches! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.