ABOUT THE PURL STITCH
I encourage you to think of the Purl stitch as an inverted Knit stitch. In your knitting, for each stitch, there is a Knit and Purl side.
Think of it as the head and tail of a coin. Each Stitch (coin) has a Knit side (head) and a Purl side (tail). And, yes, it is spelled PURL. The origin of the word purl is derived from the Middle English word Pirl, which means twist.
KNIT STITCH PATTERNS USING KNIT AND PURL STITCH
Combinations of these two knitting techniques, the knit and purl stitch, create an infinite number of textures and patterns. When you knit every row, you are creating what is called the most basic Garter Knit Stitch Pattern.
When you Knit one row then Purl the next, you are creating the Stockinette Knit Stitch Pattern. Oh, you’re getting fancy now! Find all of my Favorite Beginning Knit Stitch Patterns you’ll be ready to tackle once you know how to Purl!
WATCH VIDEO ON HOW TO PURL STITCH SLOWLY
HOW TO PURL STITCH IN KNITTING
- Hold the knitting needle with the stitches on it in your left hand.
- Hold the knitting needle without any stitches in your right hand.
- With the yarn in the front of your work, insert the right needle from back to the front of the first stitch, or you can think of it as straight into it. Your right knitting needle will be resting over your left needle.
- Starting with your yarn in the front, wrap your yarn around the right side of your right needle counter-clockwise direction, finishing with your yarn in the front of your needles again.
- Slide the right needle down and bring the point from front to back of the stitch, bringing the yarn with it.
- Slip the old stitch off the left needle. Now the new stitch is on your right needle.
CONTINUE PURLING THE ENTIRE ROW
- Repeat these four steps for each stitch on your left needle.
- At the end of the row, all the new purled stitches are on your right needle now and your left knitting needle is empty.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to begin knitting the purl stitch! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.
ENROLL IN MY ABSOLUTE BEGINNER KNITTING SERIES ON TEACHABLE ($29)
Get my entire video Series completely ad-free in an easy to follow format on desktop, mobile, and tablet. Plus — available exclusively through my Teachable course — you will also receive my new printable resources to help you shop, learn, and create:
- Knitting Tools Shopping Guide (7 pages)
- Knitting Workbook (9 pages)
- Knit Stitch Pattern Book (12 pages)