Learn to make your Gilmore Girls Ribbed Knit Hat inspired by Lorelai’s adorably cozy beanie! Before I kick off my “Netflix + Knit” binge marathon session, I have to share this classic knit hat pattern with you. As soon as the trailer came out and I saw the character Lorelai was wearing it, I was obsessed to figure out how to write up the pattern for you.
I had so much fun making it and I think you are going to have a blast mastering this ribbed knitted hat.
MATERIALS to Knit a Ribbed Knit Hat
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
• Worsted Weighted Yarn, in any fiber, & color of your choice
My example was knitted with Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Silver Heather
• Circular Knitting Needles: Size 8 US, 16″ long
• 4 Double Pointed Knitting Needles: Size 8 US
• Tapestry Needle
• Pom-Pom (optional) Make Your Own Faux Fur Pom-Pom or Purchase on Amazon.
KNITTING TECHNIQUES Ribbed Knit Hat
- Slip Knot
- CO = Cast On Long Tail Method
- Circular Needles
- Double Pointed Needles
- K = Knit Stitch
- P = Purl Stitch
- 1×1 Rib Stitch Pattern
- K2Tog = Knit Two Stitches Together
- P2Tog = Purl Two Stitches Together
- ** = Repeat pattern between asterisks
GET INSPIRED by Gilmore Girls Hats
Ravelry allows us to share our knitted projects. I love seeing all of your creative projects created with my free knitting patterns! Check out all the finished and work-in-progress Gilmore Girls Hats by fellow Ravelry knitters!
New to Ravelry? Learn how to easily find free patterns on Ravelry.
PRINTABLE PATTERN Gilmore Girls Hat
WANT THE FREE PATTERN ON THIS PAGE? Keep scrolling, it’s up next!
HOW TO KNIT A RIBBED KNIT HAT
Click to Play Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
WRITTEN PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS for Ribbed Knit Hat
- Cast On 101 Stitches onto your Circular Needle
- Slip 1 Stitch from Right to Left Needle to Join
- Row 1: K2Tog, P1, * K1, P1*
- All Rows: * K1, P1 * Until height is 3 inches
- All Rows: * K3, P2 * for 6 inches, until the total height is 9 inches
- Row 1: * K3, P2, K2tog, K1, P2 * (90 stitches remain)
- Row 2: *K3, P2, K2tog, P2 * (80 stitches remain)
- Row 3: *K3, P2, P2tog, P1 * (70 stitches remain)
- Row 4: *K3, P2, P2tog * (60 stitches remain)
- Row 5: *K3, P1, P2tog * (50 stitches remain)
- Row 6: *K2tog, K1, P2 * (40 stitches remain)
- Row 7: *K2tog, P2 * (30 stitches remain)
- Row 8: * K2tog, P1 * (20 sts remain)
- Row 9: *K2tog * (10 sts remain)
- Row 10: *K2tog * (5 sts remain)
- Cinch up remaining 5 Stitches
- Weave in ends
- Tack on optional Pom Pom to top of the hat with yarn and your tapestry needle… and you are done!
Making Pom Poms yourself is so much more affordable than purchasing them premade. You can get really creative with your color choices and sizes. Learn how I made my faux fur pom-poms for hats today!
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up this classic ribbed hat pattern in your next knitting project. Make sure to check out my popular Bubble Beanie and Slouchy Beanie Hat Patterns, too! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another free and easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work.
Happy Knitting to You!