This beautiful Butterfly Stitch Knitting Pattern is a vintage summer classic! Strategically placed slipped stitches help create the butterfly wings design into your knitted work. I recently shared the Caterpillar Knit Stitch Pattern, so now it’s time for butterflies! I hope you enjoy my Step-by-Step video tutorial and printable written knitting instructions of the Butterfly Stitch Pattern below.
MATERIALS for the Butterfly Stitch
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn commissions from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
My sample was created with size 7 US knitting needles and worsted weight yarn. Feel free to use any appropriately sized yarn and needles for your creative project.
- Knitting Needles – Size 7 US Bamboo Straight
- Tapestry Needle – Clover Chibi Jumbo Bent Tip Darning Needle Set
- Scissors – Gold Stork Crane Scissors
KNITTING TECHNIQUES for the Butterfly Stitch
Need to brush up or learn a new technique? Check out my entire library of Knitting Techniques to help you along as you knit up this project. If you’re new to knitting, you’ll love my Absolute Beginners Knitting Series!
- Slip Knot
- CO = Cast On Long Tail Method
- K = Knit Stitch
- P = Purl Stitch
- Bind Off
- Weave In Ends
- WYIB = With Yarn In Back
- Yarn - Any Gauge
- Knitting Needles - Appropriate Size for Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
Cast On: Multiples of 10, plus 7 Stitches
STEP ONE: Knit all stitches along the first row
STEP TWO: Knit the following Butterfly Stitch pattern.
- Row 1: K1, P5, * with yarn in back (wyib) slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 2: Knit All
- Row 3: K1, P5, * wyib slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 4: Knit All
- Row 5: K1, P5, * wyib slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 6: K1, * K7, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2 *, K5, K1
- Row 7: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 8: Knit All
- Row 9: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 10: Knit All
- Row 11: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 12: K1, K2, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2, * K7, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2 *, K1
- Repeat Rows 1 – 12 until your piece is the length you desire.
- Non-Reversible Knit Stitch Pattern.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn affiliate income from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up this Butterfly knit stitch pattern in your next knitting project. Check out my entire library of free stitch patterns! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.
Happy Knitting to You!