This beautiful Butterfly Stitch Knitting Pattern is a vintage summer classic. Strategically placed slipped stitches help create the fluttering butterfly wings design into your knitted work.
I recently shared the Caterpillar Knit Stitch Pattern, so now it’s time for butterflies! I hope you enjoy my Step-by-Step video tutorial and free printable written knitting instructions of the Butterfly Stitch Pattern below.
Feel free to use any appropriately sized yarn and needles for your creative project. My sample was created with size 7 US knitting needles and worsted weight yarn.
- Knitting Needles
- Tapestry Needle
Need to brush up or learn a new technique? Check out my entire library of Knitting Techniques to help you along as you knit up this project.
- Slip Knot
- CO = Cast On Long Tail Method
- K = Knit Stitch
- P = Purl Stitch
- Slip Stitch WYIB
- Bind Off
- Weave In Ends
HOW TO KNIT THE BUTTERFLY STITCH
Click to Play Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
Printable Knitting Instructions
Butterfly Stitch Knitting Pattern
This beautiful Butterfly Stitch Knitting Pattern is a vintage summer classic! Strategically placed slipped stitches help create the butterfly wings design into your knitted work.
- Yarn - Any Gauge
- Knitting Needles - Appropriate Size for Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
CAST ON: Multiples of 10, plus 7 Stitches
STEP ONE: Knit all stitches along the first row
STEP TWO: Knit the following Butterfly Stitch pattern.
- Row 1 (wrong side): K1, P5, * with yarn in back (wyib) slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 2 (right side): Knit All
- Row 3: K1, P5, * wyib slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 4: Knit All
- Row 5: K1, P5, * wyib slip 5, P5 *, K1
- Row 6: K1, * K7, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2 *, K6
(watching video tutorial above is helpful to see Lift and Release techniques)
- Row 7: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 8: Knit All
- Row 9: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 10: Knit All
- Row 11: K1, wyib slip 5, * P5, wyib slip 5 *, K1
- Row 12: K3, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2, * K7, Lift 3 Strands, K1, Release 3 Strands, K2 *, K1
Repeat Rows 1 – 12 until your piece is the length you desire.
STEP THREE: Finish with Stockinette Stitch
Row 13: Purl All
Row 14: Knit All
Not a Reversible Knit Stitch Pattern.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up this brioche Butterfly Stitch knitting pattern in your next knitting project. Check out my entire library of free stitch patterns! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.
Happy Knitting to You!