The Seeded Rib Stitch Pattern creates thick, textured rows. This is an easy-level project created with a simple combination of knits and purls.
Get your free written pattern instructions with a video tutorial below. You may also purchase my ad-free Knit Stitch Pattern Book in both hardcopy and e-book formats.
Table of Contents
About the Seeded Rib Stitch Pattern
These ribs create a thick, textured piece of knitting. It is stretchy but holds its shape with the seed stitches between the rows of ribbing. Also called the English Mock Rib, this is an easy-level project. I have a lot of great rib knit stitch patterns, so make sure to check those out, as well.
- Stitch Techniques: A series of easy knits and purls creates the stretchy ribbed pattern.
- Row Repeat: Knit up the Seeded Rib Stitch in a simple 2-row repeat.
- Reversible: This is a reversible pattern, meaning that on both sides of your work, the right and wrong sides look identical.
- Project Ideas: This is a great choice for knitting projects like simple hat brims and scarves since it adds a subtle bit of stretchy texture.
This stitch is an easy combination of simple Knit and Purl Stitches. Find my entire library of Knitting Techniques to help knit up this project.
- How to Cast On Without a Slip Knot or Slip Knot
- Cast On
- K = Knit Stitch
- P = Purl Stitch
- Cast Off
- Weave-in Yarn Ends
Watch Video Tutorial
Cast On and Cast Off
When beginning and ending Rib Stitch Patterns, you may wish to do so “in pattern.” This creates the ribbed texture along the edge for knitted items like sleeves and necks, rather than a solid horizontal edge.
Printable Knitting Instructions
- Yarn - Any Gauge
- Knitting Needles - Appropriate Size for Yarn
- Tapestry Needle
KNITTED FLAT ON STRAIGHT NEEDLES:
Cast On: Multiples of 4, plus 3
- Row 1 (Right Side): * K3, P1 *, K3
- Row 2 (Wrong Side): K1, P1, K1, * K2, P1, K1 *
IN THE ROUND ON CIRCULAR NEEDLES:
Cast On: Multiples of 4
- Row 1: * K3, P1 *
- Row 2: * P1, K1, P2 *
Repeat Rows 1 – 2 until your piece is the length you desire
Repeat pattern between the * * asterisks
Reversible Knit Stitch Pattern
Thank You for Visiting Studio Knit
I hope you are inspired to knit up this Seeded Rib Knit Stitch Pattern in your next knitting project.
If you’d like even more great ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. It’s a free and easy way for us to stay connected.