Learn how to easily knit a butterfly with this fun quick knit pattern. Knit them up in a variety of color combinations. Add knitted butterflies as embellishments to clothes, hairpins, notebooks, and more. This is a great little yarn-buster project to help you use up scrap yarn in a fun way!
The butterfly embellishment size is approximately 3.25” wide x 2.5” tall with size 7 US needles and worsted yarn. Using smaller or larger materials will alter the size of your finished butterfly accordingly.
Find all of your materials, techniques, with free written pattern instructions flat on straight needles below. Enjoy knitting up these fun quick-knit little cuties!
KNITTING MATERIALS to Make a Butterfly
My samples were created with size 7 US knitting needles and worsted weighted acrylic yarns. Feel free to use any size yarn, fiber, and needles for your creative project.
• Yarn in any weight, fiber, & color of your choice
• Knitting Needles sized appropriately for your yarn
• Tapestry Needle
KNITTING TECHNIQUES to Knit a Butterfly
Need to brush up or learn a new technique? Check out my entire library of Knitting Techniques to help you along as you knit up this project.
• Slip Knot
• CO = Cast On Long Tail Method
• CCO = Cable Cast On (Increase)
• K = Knit Stitch
• K2Tog = Knit Two Together (Decrease)
• KFB = Knit Front and Back (Increase)
• Slip 1 = Slip One Stitch Purlwise
• SSK = Slip, Slip, Knit (Decrease)
• BO = Bind Off
BUTTERFLY KNITTING PATTERN
Click to Play Step-by-Step Video Tutorial
- Yarn - 42 yards of Worsted Weight in any fiber and colors of your choice
- Knitting Needles - Size 7 US straight needles
- Tapestry Needle
Cast On 8 Stitches
- Row 1: K1, KFB, K4, KFB, Slip 1 (10 Sts)
- Row 2: K1, KFB, K6, KFB, Slip 1 (12 Sts)
- Row 3: K1, KFB, K8, KFB, Slip 1 (14 Sts)
- Row 4: K1, KFB, K10, KFB, Slip 1 (16 Sts)
- Row 5: K1, SSK, K10, K2Tog, Slip 1 (14 Sts)
- Row 6: K1, SSK, K8, K2Tog, Slip 1 (12 Sts)
- Row 7: K1, SSK, K6, K2Tog, Slip 1 (10 Sts)
- Row 8: BO 3, K5, Slip 1 (7 Sts)
- Row 9: BO 3, K3, CCO 5 (9 Sts)
- Row 10: K9, CCO 5 (14 Sts)
- Row 11: K1, KFB, K10, KFB, Slip 1 (16 Sts)
- Row 12: K1, KFB, K12, KFB, Slip 1 (18 Sts)
- Row 13: K1, KFB, K14, KFB, Slip 1 (20 Sts)
- Row 14: K19, Slip 1 (20 Sts)
- Row 15: K19, Slip 1 (20 Sts)
- Row 16: K1, SSK, K14, K2Tog, Slip 1 (18 Sts)
- Row 17: K1, SSK, K12, K2Tog, Slip 1 (16 Sts)
- Row 18: K6, K2Tog, K2Tog, K5, Slip 1 (14 Sts)
- Row 19: K5, K2Tog, K2Tog, K4, Slip 1 (12 Sts)
BO: All 12 Stitches
CO: 14 Stitches
BO: 14 Stitches
Braid 3 strands of yarn, knotting them to secure on either side until your braid is approximately 2” in length.
Slightly fold bottom portion of wings overlapping top portion, tack with yarn to secure. Tack abdomen over the center of wings, add an antenna, weave in ends. Fly away!
Butterfly Size: Approximately 3.25” wide x 2.5” tall with size 7US needles and worsted yarn. Using smaller or larger materials will alter the size of your finished butterfly accordingly.
THANK YOU FOR VISITING STUDIO KNIT
I hope you are inspired to knit up this Butterfly Knitting Pattern for your next project. Check out my entire collection of knitted embellishments! If you’d like even more great knitting ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. Subscribing to my YouTube channel Studio Knit is another easy way for us to stay connected and help support my work for free.
Happy Knitting to You!