Winter Yarn Hat Ornaments are an adorable Christmas holiday decoration to make with your friends and family because there are NO knitting skills required.
Using just a toilet paper roll, stash yarn, and some stuffing, make cute ornaments quickly at a very low cost to you. Get creative with different color combinations. It’s fun to use the colors from a favorite sports team!
New: See how to easily make Yarn Gnome Ornaments, too!
Table of Contents
Craft Tools and Materials
This is a quick upcycle and yarn-busting craft project!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Watch Video Tutorial
Step-by-Step Craft Construction
Step 1: Cut Materials
To begin, cut about an inch from your paper roll, as well as about 10 inches of yarn.
Step 2: Wrap and Cinch Yarn
Make a loop and we put it inside your little circle. Take the yarn ends, put them on the outside and then cinch it up. And this is all we do, we go all the way around.
Step 3: Yarn Ends Through the Other Side
Take your yarn ends and simply push them through the other side. Super simple.
Step 4: Make Hat Shape
Straighten out your yarn end colors. Taking one bit of yarn, cinch up to make the top of our hat.
Step 5: Make Pom Pom Top
Using your scissors, just shape to make the pompom at the top of your hat.
Step 6: Stuff to Finish
Because it’s a little flat, add a tiny bit of stuffing and it just stays right inside.
Yarn Gnome Ornaments
New! Take your yarn hat to the next level by crafting it into a magical gnome ornament this holiday.
Additional Craft Supplies
- Pom Pom Maker: The 2.5-inch maker is my choice for this project.
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks: The lowest temperature setting is my favorite.
- Wooden Craft Beads: I like this selection of sizes and used the 16 mm size for my noses.
How to Make Yarn Gnome Ornaments
Feel free to get really creative, adding glitter or tinsel to make your gnome character festive and unique.
- Pom Pom Beard: First, make a pom pom. You may make yours tight and circular or more raggedy and rustic, like mine pictured above. If you’re new to crafting these cute embellishments, I love Robert Mahar’s video tutorial How to Make Yarn Pom Poms.
- Attach Hat and Beard Together: Once your hot glue gun is warmed up, rim your hat with adhesive, then secure your pom pom. I like to hold them together tightly for a good 10 seconds before releasing them.
- Add Gnome’s Nose: Place a little dab of hot glue on your wooden bead and hold it to the brim of your yarn hat until secure.
Printable Knitting Instructions
- Yarn - Aran or Worsted Weight
- Toilet Paper Roll
- CUT MATERIALS: To begin, cut about an inch from your paper roll, as well as about 10 inches of yarn.
- WRAP AND CINCH YARN: Make a loop and we put it inside your little circle. Take the yarn ends, putting them on the outside and then cinching it up. And this is all we do, we go all the way around.
- YARN ENDS THROUGH OTHER SIDE: Take your yarn ends and simply push them through the other side. Super simple.
- MAKE HAT SHAPE: Straighten out your yarn end colors. Taking one bit of yarn, cinch up to make the top of our hat.
- MAKE POMPOM: Using your scissors, just shape to make the pompom at the top of your hat.
- STUFF TO FINISH: Because it's a little flat, add a tiny bit of stuffing and it just stays right inside.
Thank You for Visiting Studio Knit
I hope you are inspired to make these little Yarn Hats this holiday. Check out all of my Christmas Holiday Knitting Project and Gift ideas!
If you’d like even more great ideas, please make sure you join my mailing list. It’s a free and easy way for us to stay connected.
Happy knitting to you!